office expressions.

musings from my experience at the home/office.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Talkin' bout the weather

See that sheen on the rocks? That's rain. See the dead-ish weeds poking out between that cracks? That's my weekend project, probably for the rest of the summer. 

I took this picture to prove to you that Colorado does indeed have a handful of rainy days. We are now in the midst of a gloomy 2-day run of rain and gray skies. That's really unusual for a state that gets 300 days of sunshine a year. Usually that only happens when I have family visiting from out of state, looking for some vitamin D. 

People often ask me if I've 'gone soft' after moving here from Minnesota, and my answer is, yes...but I'm not as bad some Front Range Natives who literally hibernate at the prediction of snow and refuse to enjoy being outside if it is below 40 degrees. I still find cold weather to be crisp and refreshing, and it's always bearable because we usually only have a two week cold snap and then we're right back to our balmy 40+ degree weather in the middle of winter. I've even eaten my lunch outside in January before, without a jacket. 

So, while by Minnesota standards I am turning into a weather-weanie, by Colorado standards I think I must be pretty tough. I can remember several times when I was walking Lexi in our Colorado Springs neighborhood, bundled up to my eyeballs, and I could literally walk down the middle of the street and not even worry about getting hit by a car, because I was walking her in the snow. And it was beautiful. 

So, I felt compelled to take a picture of the rain falling on my patio because I am enjoying this change in weather, I am glad that my grass is turning green, and it's a lot easier to focus on werk on days like this. Embrace the rainy days, Coloradans, they are a rare treat! 

(**I must still have some Minnesotan lingering in me because I just spent an entire post observing the weather, and Minnesotans are absolutely EXPERTS when it comes to talking about the weather). 

No comments:

Post a Comment