office expressions.

musings from my experience at the home/office.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Extrovert

Happy Monday and Happy Valentine's Day (for those of you who observe the holiday)...it's so good to be back home! The past week I was in 4 all day meetings, with a few dinner meetings thrown in to the mix down at Headquarters/the Land of Cubicles. Since the Land of Cubicles is at least an hour from my house, I decided to play the role of 'the girl on the couch' and crash wherever I was welcome for a few days. This actually worked out really well, I got to catch up with a great friend who unnecessarily gave me her plush Queen size bed for two nights, and the second two nights I crashed with my parents at their hotel as they were in town for some meetings, too. I soaked up every minute of quality time that I had, and it was awesome!

So, let's just say that this past week, I realized that I am an undeniable extrovert. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to be 'the homewerker' and an extrovert at the same time. That is why this past week was oh.so.good.for.me, meeting new co.werkers, catching up with old co.werkers, and talking with others about everything from whether or not I should go with the iphone4 on Verizon or AT&T to engaging in heavy debate about a new marketing campaign being pushed down from a corporate level. I left feeling energized about my job and the organization that I work for, and excited to deepen the new friendships that have just begun. (Seriously, I love my job).

Insert reality check, it's Monday morning, I just rolled out of bed, I am on my second cup of coffee and I have already let the dog out 3 times. The house is bathed in that 'early morning quiet' while I scroll through emails that have landed in my inbox over the weekend. And yes, of course I am still in my pajamas! (I learned from a few other co.werkers who also werk from home that they only change out of their pj's when it's time to make dinner...)

I think I am going to love this balance of having the space and quiet to really think about my werk, prepare dinner, keep laundry going, hop on conference calls, and manhandle emails all at the same time. It's a good thing that I'm not too far from the Land of Cubicles, however, because some really special people werk there and I know I would miss them if I saw them any less.

Now to get this beast figured out...anyone know how to set your printer up to be wireless?? 117 lbs of pure printing genius sitting in my guest bedroom, and right now, I'm a little scared of it!

1 comment:

  1. Jill- I just got the iPhone4 with Verizon, and absolutely love it. I think Verizon has a better reputation for service, we've never had any problems with them. But I also think it depends on whether or not your family has either Verizon or AT&T. Both of our families are on Verizon so it just makes sense for us all to be with the same company. Good luck with the printer! Glad to hear you're enjoying working from home :)

    ReplyDelete