office expressions.

musings from my experience at the home/office.

Friday, January 6, 2012

12 hour shifts

The reality of a nursing career with 12 hour shifts is starting to hit us hard this week. Not to mention Jake is also recovering from the same cold I have, so my sympathy for him is strong as he rounds out three days in a row of 12 hour shifts at the hospital. Talk about exhausting!

He met a nurse yesterday who was 18 weeks pregnant, and I often remind myself that I could be in a situation like hers, werking on my feet for 12 hours a day...while pregnant! I am completely and totally spoiled, knowing that I have to intentionally get myself out of the house and get moving a few times a week just to get some walking in. It's hard to imagine what it would be like werking outside the home as you grow bigger and bigger each day, but I know our bodies are amazing and they adapt to lots of incredible things. I think I could do it, but my heart goes out to those moms-to-be who are not able to werk from home. Heck, I couldn't even handle 2 hours following my mother-in-law around at Kohl's over the holidays, I had to take a break and sit on the bench outside the store!

Twelve hours is a long time to be alone, (and an even longer time to be at the hospital!), so this week has kind of dragged on for us as we had quickly gotten used to be around each other 24/7 over Christmas break. I've got some meetings this afternoon and final prep to do for meetings on Monday, then it's time to plan a yummy dinner and relaxing evening with my favorite almost-nurse.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment