office expressions.

musings from my experience at the home/office.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Freed

I did it, I deleted the game 'free cell' from my phone. Free Cell had become quite the addicting habit for me to keep my hands and the part of me that likes to doodle while I listen...busy...especially while on conference calls or listening to webinars. I am not the best at multitasking when it comes to certain tasks, but when it comes to a purely auditory task, it often helps me to have something purely visual going on at my fingertips to actually hold my concentration on the auditory task. I am a very visual person, and auditory stuff always requires extra effort from me.

So, why delete something that was helping me hold my attention? It had also devolved into quite a distraction in and of itself. I found my fingertips idly wandering to my phone's screen to start up 'just one more game'. When you tell yourself 'just one more' of anything, that should be a red flag that it's time to stop. Cut yourself off. Be done.

I might have to embrace one of my former resolutions to draw more, and plop a big doodle pad on my desk, bringing me back to the good old days of sitting through class room lectures and drawing to my heart's content (and to the amusement of those sitting around me, I'm sure). Time for some  colored pencils and paper, to keep this right brain pumping along through the werk day...who knows, maybe I'll even post some of my scribbles on here!

1 comment: