office expressions.

musings from my experience at the home/office.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Looking Back



As 2011 closed out a few days ago, there were many memories and changes to reflect upon. A large one being the start of my job as the.home.werker last January. It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since I've been at this!

I've got my office set-up complete, the dog is used to having me around all day (she's currently laying on my feet under the desk...small victory!), my co-werkers all pretty much know where to find me now, and I've mastered the art of travelling and werking remotely at the same time.

The flexibility that is present in my werk arrangements never ceases to amaze me, and I do everything I can not to take it for granted. I have no idea if/when I'll ever have another office-based job, but I have to admit, I have started to get rid of some of my business professional wardrobe. (Being pregnant makes it really easy to part with clothes that never quite fit right!)

2011 was a year of stretchy pants and slippers, mid-day walks with the dog, conference calls, more conference calls, and learning the importance of mileage reimbursement for trips to the land.of.cubicles. It was the year I learned that answering email after hours or on the weekends won't kill me, especially if it helps me sleep better or relax more when I am with friends and family. It was a year of the least amount of sick days ever taken by me, I actually accrued the maximum amount of paid sick leave for the first time in my professional life. Who needs a mental health day when you get to enjoy the balance of werking from home? Who needs to worry about giving your cold to your co-werkers when it's just you and the dog all day long?

It was a great year, and I have a hunch that 'the.home.werker' is up for lots of new adventures in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment