office expressions.

musings from my experience at the home/office.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

MLK Day

Yesterday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so I got to have a day off. I had a small discussion with Jake about how sometimes I feel guilty having this holiday off from werk because I never really do anything 'MLK related' on the day. I am thankful the legacy and change MLK created in the world and all of the progress that he made, but when it comes to holidays, this is one that kind of finds me at a loss for how to celebrate or observe.

Some of my friends posted inspiring quotes from him on their Facebook walls, and I'm sure other might have even participated in parades or memorial services. Back in grade school, we often did a unit in social studies about the importance of the MLK.

Yesterday, I fully enjoyed my time off by watching some cheesy morning talk shows, organizing an extra closet and making room for baby, running some errands, and just kind of taking it easy. I am also reading a book called "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", about an African American woman in the 50's who unknowingly donated cancer cells on her death bed that would blaze cancer research trails and are still the basic 'cell' found in most research labs today. The book is fascinating, and does a great job portraying the struggle Henrietta's family had in understanding the impact of these cells, let alone fighting to keep access to their own health insurance.

So, while I didn't throw up any 'MLK Day' Decor or attend any memorials, on many levels I'm thankful for the impact MLK still has on the world today.

No comments:

Post a Comment