office expressions.

musings from my experience at the home/office.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Gear

Well, my to-do list for the week is coming along nicely. Today, I think I'll bite off the last 100 pages of the book I am reading about ending global poverty (I'll let you know how it ends! ;)). I also managed to score an appointment for my travel shots next Tuesday, and I am going to give a huge shout-out to my incredible Mom who not only had my childhood shot records from two different pediatricians in PA on hand...but mailed them to me pronto and I hope that having them in hand gets me out of a few unnecessary sticks in the arm. Fingers crossed. Thanks, MOM!!

This is my awesome Mom with my favorite nephew (so far! j/k),  Ethan!
Speaking of this trip to the Dominican Republic. Yesterday, I spoke with one of my co.werkers who is going on the same trip as me. It quickly became very obvious that she and I have VERY different approaches to travel. She mentioned how she really wished we had more info about the trip because of all the gear we're going to need to bring with us. In my head, I was thinking, "Gear? What...am I playing the role of sherpa on an Everest expedition?". I have always been told that trips with sponsors to the countries we werk in are rather posh and fairly comfortable, because many people on the trip have never left their suburb, let alone the good 'ol U.S. of A. before.

My co.werker went on to describe in detail the boatload of money she has spent buying her 'gear' for this trip. Including hard-toed and closed-heel shoes that cost $100, specialty sport sunglasses, and her future list of specialty wicking and performance wear (not to mention filtered water bottle) that she has yet to purchase. When I mentioned that every time I have ever been to a developing country, the one thing that is undeniably present for us Americans is bottled water, I think I might have heard some disappointment in her voice. Maybe I'm too trusting, but this is a business trip, and there is no way you will see the.home.werker dropping hundred dollar bills at R.E.I. 'just in case'.

That being said, there is a very good chance you might find me at Old Navy or a thrift store looking for a long skirt and comfy capris to wear. For sure. Last time I was on a trip to Mexico we packed our clothes for a week in way that we could give them away at the end of our trip. Now there's a thought.

Oh, and don't worry, I won't forget the Pepto or Immodium. That's MY version of gear. :)

1 comment:

  1. Okay - well just make sure you take your iphone ... and you have the first aid ap downloaded 'just in case' ...

    ReplyDelete