office expressions.

musings from my experience at the home/office.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tipping Point

Malcom Gladwell defines a tipping point as "the moment of critical mass, the threshold, the boiling point."[

Well my dear co.werkers, I have reached a tipping point concerning my sedentary lifestyle. Now that I find myself in the position of the.homewerker, I have realized that walking from my desk to the bathroom (7 steps), from my desk to the kitchen and back (maybe 20 steps) and to the front door to get the mail (10 steps?) is not the definition of an active lifestyle. I have been doing my best to get out and take Lexi on walks a couple of times a week, which is really to keep both of us sane and breathing some fresh air. However, these walks are not quite enough for me to achieve 'fitness' or a 'healthy lifestyle'.

Marching to and from meetings, up and down four flights of stairs while carrying my 10 lb. laptop and balancing on 4 inch heels, definitely kept me more active during my time in the Land of Cubicles. Sad but true.

I have a great friend who found out I was considering joining a gym and she signed me up for a free 4 week trial at her gym. A friendly 'membership manager' called me up yesterday and invited me down for an intro/tour of the place, and I am nervous/excited/and ready to make some new habits. I'm a little nervous, do I wear my gym clothes and stay and work out afterwards? Do I show up in street clothes, play it cool, and come back later for my workout when I'm feeling a little less conspicuous about being there? Meh. Guess we'll have to see what happens!

As the.homewerker, I have no doubt that this will be a positive change and good decision for me to join a gym. While I love werking from home, it doesn't really give me that cardio or muscle stimulation I'm looking for...no sir. This will get me out of the house (yay for the extrovert in me!), and 'werking out' on a regular basis, which will hopefully lead to a healthier and more balanced lifestyle. Don't worry, Lexi will definitely still get her walks in. Fresh air is still important:).


1 comment:

  1. You might really enjoy the classes, too. That is one of the reasons I have thought about joining somewhere - for the aerobic type classes. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete